Saturday 17 December 2011

0907803 Toilet

The toilet was tricky. I created the bowl by using a box with plenty of vertices so I could manipulate them as I wanted. First I shaped the outside of the bowl by selecting the middle row of vertices and, with the soft select on, pulled them closer together. This created the nice curve that makes the bowl slop like an hourglass.  The inside of the bowl was created using a similar method. I simply selected the middle vertices on the top of the bowl and, with soft select on. I dragged it down, making sure that the overflow from the soft select left and even rim around the top of the bowl. The back is simply made of a rectangle with a chamfer applied to the top of it, then it simple rest on top of another rectangle that links it to the base.
I then attached all of these together in order to create one object and then applied the symmetry tool to create the hole toilet, I needed to do this know so I could work out how big the seat needed to be.
The seat was created the same way as the arc gravestones however with more vertices. Also as the seat needed depth, after I used the soft select tool to move the vertices into an arc, I applied the extrude tool. However as the soft select made the back of the seat curve slightly as well, rather then retry to so it with a flat edge, I simply attached a thin box to the back of the seat.

This is the seat with the symmetry modifier applied to the rest of the toilet. I kept the seat a separate object so we could move the hinge should we which to animate it opening and closing.

The handle was simply created out of three cylinders of different sizes attached together, and then the gyro moved off that it would rotate around the section attached to the toilet. Again I kept this a separate object so it would be easier to apply a different texture and so we could animate it moving if we wished.  


This is the toilet with the texture applied and a turbo smooth applied to the seat.  All in all I am quite proud of this as it looks quite realistic despite its relative simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment